Create a custom Altium schematic template
In this article we will show you how to:
- Make a copy of an existing Altium schematic template using A4.SchDot file.
- Create a modification on it by replacing new graphics logo, company name, title, sheet number, sheet total and other parameters.
In order to achieve this follow the next 11 steps:
1. Find a folder where an existing Altium schematic templates is stored. By default Altium templates are installed in a folder \Users\Public\Documents\Altium\AD17\Templates\ if you have Altium Designer version 17 installed.
2. Make a copy of a schematics template file. It has an extension .SchDot. (in our example we will use A4.SchDot and make a copy A4-PCB-3D.SchDot)
3. Open a copied file from step 2 in Altium Designer.
4. Select Altium logo and delete it.
5. Insert a new graphics company logo. Go to Place -> Drawing Tool -> Graphic. See image below for the details.
Cursor will appear as a cross and select 2 opposite corners of the place where you want your corporate logo to appear. Choose the image of your logo and press open. Place it on a desired place on the template sheet. We recommend you check Embedded checkbox because if you change the folder or name of your file or delete it, the image will not appear on the template. See image for the details.
5. Also, you can arrange template style by drawing and moving lines, change color and thickness of the lines by double clicking on it or you can place a new line/lines using Place -> Drawing Tool -> Lines. See image for the details.
6. If you want a proper way to fill the text as Title, Designed by, Date, Revision, Time, Sheet Number, Sheet total and so on, go to Design -> Document Options. See image for the details.
7. Select the second tub Parameters.
8. Here you should fill out the Value row of the desired columns (see our image below for the details) and press OK.
9. Now we can add a Title, Designed by, Date, Revision, Time, Sheet Number, Sheet Total and other, in our Altium Schematic Template by placing a text: Place -> Text String. See image for the details.
10. Press tub key to open Annotation window of the text. If you want to show Title in Properties Text, write =Title. See image for the details.
or if you want to show Sheet Number in Properties Text, write =SheetNumber
11. Save your template as .SchDot file. See image for the details.
Tutorials in the category: Altium Designer